Can Domestic Mold be Dangerous for Your Health?

While mold has an important role in the nature, domestic mold can cause you minor to severe allergy reactions, depending on how exposed you are to mold spores on a daily basis. The good news is that mold can be kept away with a use of an efficient device like the dehumidifier but before trying out methods for mold removal, you must first learn whether mold can be dangerous for your hold.

What is mold?

To better understand about the harmful effects that mold has on your health, it’s important to learn what it really is and how it develops so that you can find efficient ways to protect your health. Mold are basically small organisms that can develop everywhere. While in the outdoors, mold plays a very important role in breaking down dead plants, trees and leaves, domestic mold can be quite dangerous for your health. Mold thrives in a humid environment and it develops by means of small spores that travel in the air, so you are exposed to mold almost every day.

Who’s at risk?

People that are generally very sensitive to allergens and mold in particular the simple action of touching mold spores can cause a skin rash, runny nose, sneezing and other allergic reactions. People that have serious allergies or asthma problems inhaling spores can cause more severe reactions and for asthmatics it can even cause asthma attacks.

What are the early signs of mold allergies?

Once you have come into contact with mold spores, you can soon begin coughing, have itchy or watery eyes, a runny nose and wheezing. At first, you might confuse these allergy symptoms with a simple cold but before taking medication to treat your non-existent cold, go see a doctor or make an allergy test.

How to keep mold at bay

In order to prevent mold from causing some damage to your house, but most importantly make sure that it doesn’t represent a hazard for your health and the health of your family, you need to take some measures. Consider using a dehumidifier especially in very humid and hot spaces, such as the basement or kitchen to extract moisture from the air. By using a dehumidifier you can prevent mold from developing in your house and causing allergy reactions but you need to also make sure that the indoor humidity is below 60%. You can also consider getting a dehumidifier that includes a hygrometer so that you can measure relative humidity in your room.